Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Port Brewing Company Old Viscosity


A few years ago a buddy of mine moved to the west coast. It was a very bitter-sweet moment for me. On one hand, I was losing one of my best buds. On the other, he was moving on to bigger and better things that would, in the end, make him happier. Of course, another positive was that fact that any visit meant some great coastal beer that was not available to me here in the Midwest.

Enter Port Brewing Company. No, not Pizza Port. However, Port is the result of Pizza Port's former director of brewing operations and a pal. Adding even more connections to this brewery, they set up camp in Stone's old brewing facility in San Marcos, CA.

Flash forward to 2006, and Port is a brewing. This particular brew is a very dark american strong ale coming in at 10% abv. The beer pours a very dark, opaque brownish/black with a thin tan head. The consistency is near motor oil. The nose gives off aromas of woody, roasted malts as well as chocolate, alcohol, and a slight bit of bourbon. The flavor is a mouthful with slight acidic tinge that leads to roasted malts, bourbon, chocolate, and a slight hoppy grapefruit quality in the finish. Very full bodied.

I was very impressed with Old Viscosity. Very near and imperial stout. Should I find myself on the west coast anytime soon, I will surely seek this brew out. I suggest you do as well.

No comments: