Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Charlie's Review of Dogfish Head Fort


Well, what more can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said by Rob? And really, what I could say wouldn't come close to giving any idea of what this beer is like. You simply have to find it and then drink it. Out of state will be the only way to get this beer without illicit means, so perhaps a road trip to Kentucky is in order. It only takes about two hours out of Columbus and as far as i know, Kentucky has no alcohol limit on beer.
As I poured this beer, the instant the liquid hit the bottom of my glass my nose was assaulted with raspberries and alcohol. Getting my nose closer to the glass I also noticed a hint of apple. I took my time with my first glass, taking notice of flavors of the beer chilled and then when it had warmed up to room temperature. While cold the massive 18% alcohol is hidden fairly well. The beer is surprisingly malty with loads of sweetness from the raspberries and has a huge raspberry flavor. I also agree with Rob on thinking this beer is brewed with some wheat malt. The finish burns in the throat and chest with alcohol and the raspberries linger for a long time. While warm, the dimensions of the beer do not change too much other than the alcohol flavor being much more aggressive and contributing a more significant burn.
Four hours later this beer was gone... and so was I. Was the high price of this beer worth it? I'd say so. It's rare, it's delicious, and it's interesting. This definitely isn't one of my favorite beers from Dogfish Head, but the bold move to brew a 18% alcohol fruit beer and have it turn out this well really shows what a top notch and trailblazing brewery Dogfish Head is. Bring on more, please.

No comments: