Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Rochefort Trappistes 10, Redux


Ahoy, my fellow honorary Brewski Brothers!

The gauntlet hath been thrown down, now I am here to giveth thy review on the Rochefort Trappistes 10.

My eyes don't lie. They tell me what I see and I what I don't see. This particular beer pours out to have a coffee-like color, with a slight mahogany tint. The carbonation was sufficient and is best described as moderate when compared to other Trappistes ales. Translated, it didn't foam over and stain my carpet...Damn you foamy Monks! I'd ask them to pay various dry cleaning bills, but when I attempt to contact them, they suddenly claim to have taken a vow of silence...Anyway. The Rochefort is full of fruit, most evident to me is something in the vain of grape/raisin/plum. Also worth noting is a good dollop of hazelnut. This may lead you to believe that it is sweet, but it is not. It has good maltiness and the finish is long, dry and crisp. At 11.3% alcohol, this is one spicy meatball. The alcohol is briefly quite warming, but it fades in synchronicity with the finish.

The Rochefort Trappistes 10 is widely regarded as one of the best beers in the world. Believe the hype. This beer has the brute force of a heavyweight boxer, but is nimble enough outpoint most other trappist ales with balance and depth. Or as Muhammad Ali would say, "It floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee."

No comments: